Unilorin Postgraduate admission form for 2022/2023 is out, Here are requirements and how to apply
University of Ilorin, Unilorin has released PostGraduate admission form for 2022/2023, calls on interested candidate who meet the requirements below to apply for admission into various Postgraduate degree programmes in the school.
Not all courses are available for the session, I will advice applicants to go through available courses to confirm that the course they want to apply for it's in the list. The school in other hand will not take responsibility for any mistake made arising from wrong application.
Postgraduate academic session will automatically commence from 23rd October and end on 30th September of the following year. It's a 12 calendar month program which will automatically elapse at the expiration of the prescribed maximum duration for each programme.
A candidate may, however, apply for an extension of not more than 6 months, in the first instance, subject to a maximum of two such extensions.
Postgraduate Program Offered in Unilorin
Ph.D. Degree Programmes
Ph.D degree programs are available to holders of M.A; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; LL.M; and M.P.H
degrees, with a minimum score of 60% or a minimum of 4 points on a 5 points Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) scale in their Master degree programmes. A Ph.D. degree programme runs for a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 60 calendar months for full-time TE candidates OR a minimum period of 48 calendar months and a maximum period of 72 calendar months for part-time candidates. Relevant Courses will be taken for the Ph.D. studies where prescribed and a Thesis is required at the end of the Ph.D. programme.
M.Phil./Ph.D. Degree Programmes
Candidates who scored between 55.00 and 59.99 percent or 3.50 3.99 CGPA score on a 5-point scale, can apply for admission into the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil./Ph.D.) degree programme. The M.Phil./Ph.D. degree programme is available only to full-time candidates. It runs for a minimum period of 12 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months and a Dissertation is produced after the research work. Candidates in this category are eligible for conversion to Ph.D. programme, following a progress assessment report to be made by a Panel of Examiners at the end of the first session of registration. To be eligible for conversion to the Ph.D. program, candidates are expected to score not less than 60% (aggregate) at the end of the first session.
M.Phil. Degree Programmes
Candidates who scored between 50.00 and 54.99 percent or 3.00 – 3.49 CGPA score on a 5-point scale, can apply for admission into the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) degree programme. The M.Phil. degree programme is available only to full-time candidates. It runs for a minimum period of 18 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months on a full-time basis and a Dissertation is produced after the research work.
Master Degree Programmes
M.A.; M.Ed.; M.Eng.; M.Sc.; LL.M and M.P.H. degrees run for a minimum period of 18 calendar months and a maximum period of 24 calendar months for full-time candidates OR a minimum period of 36 calendar months and a maximum period of 48 calendar months for part-time candidates. All Master degree programmes are by course work. This is in addition to a research report at the end of which a Dissertation is produced. RESER
Postgraduate Diploma Degree Programmes Postgraduate Diploma degrees are available to candidates with Third Class (honours) degree.
ELIGIBILITY: Who Can Apply for Unilorin Postgraduate admission form?
- All entry certificate requirement shall be available at the point of purchasing the application form. The National Youth Service Corp Discharge Certificate OR Exemption Certificate should be dated and presented on or before September 30th, 2023.
- Applicants are expected to submit their application forms online together. After the submission of the application forms online as stated in (ii) above, all supporting documents in (1) above and the hard copy of the application form, should be forwarded to the Secretary, Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria between Monday, 26th June 2023 and Friday, 30th June, 2023, while the submission of Transcripts of Academic Records should be addressed and forwarded to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought. The Postgraduate School will not be held liable for any misdirected transcript.
- All applicants must have 5 O/L Credit passes in the relevant subjects, which must include English Language and Mathematics. In line with Senate directives, applicants who had their O/L results before the year 2015, may have a pass in English or Mathematics depending on the programme applied for.
- Applicants for the Master degree programmes who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized universities must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programmes in which they had their first degrees. However, applicants with Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programmes outside those in which they had their first degrees may be admitted, provided they satisfy the University of Ilorin Senate's requirements in a qualifying examination to be conducted. The least class of first Degree for all academic programme applicants is Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division). The Bachelor degrees should be obtained from the University of Ilorin or any other university recognised by the Senate of the University of Ilorin. ALL applicants shall apply early for their official Bachelor degree transcript to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought, before the expiration of the stated deadline in B (iii) above. Again the Postgraduate School will not be held liable or responsible for any misdirected transcript..
- Applicants for the Ph.D. degree programme shall have obtained a relevant Master degree of the University of Ilorin or from other recognized Universities, with an average weighted score of at least 60% or a 4.0 points CGPA on a 5-point scale. Short-listed applicants would be required to satisfy the Postgraduate School in the qualifying interviews and assessments by the relevant Department. Applicants are therefore expected to interact with the department to which they have applied to ascertain the date of the interview for the Ph.D. degree programme. Regardless of the institution where the Master degree was obtained, all candidates must apply early for the official copy of their academic transcripts to be sent to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought for the purpose of this admission and before the expiration of the stated deadline. Applicants must note that the Postgraduate School will not be responsible for any misdirected transcript.
- All Higher Degree applicants that attended foreign Universities, where English language is not the medium of instruction, should submit to the Head of Department where the admission is being sought, evidence of their English Language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS scores obtained within the validity period of such certifications.
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diploma and Master Degree Programmes will be subjected to a qualifying examination, irrespective of the class of degree obtained. However, applicants from the University of Ilorin with a First Class or a Second Class, Upper Division (Honours), provided such applicant is not applying to a TE department that is different from the one in which he/she graduated from at the undergraduate level, will be exempted from the qualifying examination.
- International applicants (who are domiciled outside Nigeria and non-Nigerians applying from outside the country) shall be exempted from the qualifying examination irrespective of the class of degree. All applicants are requested to submit a proposal of not more than 5 pages, giving details of their intended areas of research interests. This should be sent electronically to [email protected] not later than Friday, 7th July, 2023.
- Applicants applying for any of the full-time programmes of the University are expected to present a letter of release from their employers at the point of registration.
Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science
- Applicants for the Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science shall satisfy one of the following:
- a minimum of first degree in any of the following disciplines from a recognised University: Sciences, Engineering, Social Sciences or the Humanities.
- HND in Computer Science or Engineering from recognized Polytechnics with aminimum of Lower Credit; and
- HND in any other discipline different from those in (b) above but preferably from Sciences or Social Sciences with a minimum of Lower Credit from a recognized Polytechnic or equivalent institution, with at least one year cognate experience.
Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics
Applicants for Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics shall satisfy one of the following:
- A minimum of an honour's degree from a recognized University in any of Science and Social Science disciplines;
- HND in Statistics from a recognized Polytec with a minimum of Lower Credit.
- M.A. Peace and Security Studies is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Executive Intelligence Management Course (EIMC) of the Institute of Security Studies, Abuja. The M.A. Peace and Strategic Studies is OPEN ONLY to participants in the Executive Management Course (EMC) of the Nigerian Army School of Education (NASE), Ilorin or any other equivalent programme approved by NASE.
- M.Sc. Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) is OPEN ONLY to participants of the Natural Water Institute, Kaduna.
Masters in Public Health
Applicants for Master of Public Health (MPH) shall satisfy the following:
- Have their first degree in one of the following fields; Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Nutrition & Dietetics, Veterinary Medicine, Medical Laboratory Science, Health Information Management, Public Health or Microbiology;
- Have at least 2 years working experience in health facility, ministry of health, UN agencies or health related government and non-governmental agencies.
AVAILABLE PROGRAMMES for Unilorin Postgraduate Admission
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
- Department of Agronomy M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Agronomy M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Soil Science
- Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development M.Sc.; Ph.D. Agricultural Extension
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Agricultural Economics.
- Department of Crop Protection M.Sc.; Ph.D. Crop Protection
- Department of Animal Production PGD Animal Production; Master in Animal Production (MAP); M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Animal Production
- Department of Home Economics and Food Science M.Sc.; Home Economics M.Sc.; Ph.D. Food Science
FACULTY OF ARTS
- Department of Arabic M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Arabic Language. M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Literature- in – Arabic
- Centre for Peace and Strategic Studies M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Peace and Development Studies M.A. Peace and Security Studies (Available for EIMC) M.A. Peace and Strategic Studies (Available for EMC)
- Department of Linguistics and Nigerian Languages M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Linguistics M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Applied Linguistics M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Yoruba Language M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Yoruba Literature
- Department of The Performing Arts M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Performing Arts
- Department of Religions M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D. Christian Studies. M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D. Comparative Religious Studies M.A.; M.Phil./Ph.D. Islamic Studies
- Department of French M.A.; Ph.D. French Language M.A.; Ph.D. Literature-in-French
- Institute of Translation Art M.A. Translation Art
- Department of The Performing Arts M.A.; M.Phil/Ph.D.; Ph.D. Performing Arts.
FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES
- Department of Anatomy M.Sc.: M.Phil/Ph.D.: Ph.D. Anatomy
- Department of Physiology M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Physiology
FACULTY OF BASIC CLINICAL SCIENCES
- Department of Chemical Pathology and Immunology M.Sc.; Ph.D.; MD Chemical Pathology
- Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics M.Sc.; Ph.D. Pharmacology and Therapeutics
FACULTY OF CLINICAL SCIENCES
- Department of Epidemiology and Community Health Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Department of Nursing Sciences M.Sc. Nursing Sciences REPORTS
- Department of Paediatrics and Child Health M.Sc.; Ph.D. Tropical Paediatrics
FACULTY OF COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION SCIENCES
- Department of Computer Science PGD.; M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Computer Science
- Department of Information and Communication Science M.Sc.; Ph.D. Information and Communication Science ii. Department of Mass Communication M.Sc.; Ph.D. Mass Communication
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
- Department of Arts Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. English Language Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Arabic Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Comparative Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Religious Studies Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Curriculum Development (Arts Education) M.Ed. Mother Tongue Education M.Ed. Philosophy of Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. History and Policy of Education TE Department of Counsellor Education
- M.Ed.; Ph.D. Educational Guidance and Counselling
- Department of Educational Technology PGD Educational Technology (PGDET) M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D.; Educational Technology
- Department of Health Promotion and Environmental Health Education M.Sc. (Ed); M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Health Education Master of Public Health Education
- Department of Science Education M.Ed. Science Education (Biology) M.Ed. Ph.D. Mathematics Education M.Ed.; Ph.D. Sociology of Education M.Ed.; Ph.D. Curriculum Development in Social Sciences Education M.Ed., Ph.D. Social Studies Education
- Department of Adult and Primary Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Adult Education M.Ed.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Childhood Education
- Department of Human Kinetics Education M.Sc. (Ed).; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Exercise and Sport Science M.Sc. (Ed).; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Administration and Management M.Sc. (Ed).; Ph.D. Curriculum and Teacher Education M.Sc. (Ed).; Ph.D. Adapted Physical Education M.Sc. (Ed).; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Recreation and Tourism
- Department of Educational Management M.Ed.; Ph.D. Educational Management
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
- Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering M.Eng.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D.
- Department of Chemical Engineering M.Eng.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Chemical Engineering
- Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering M.Eng. Materials and Metallurgical Engineering
- Department of Mechanical EngineeringM.Eng.; M.Phil/Ph.D.; Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
- Department of Architecture M.Sc. Architecture
- Department of Estate Management PGD; M.Sc.; Ph.D. Estate Management
- Department of Surveying and Geoinformatics PGD; M.Sc.; Ph.D. Surveying and Geoinformatics
- Department of Quantity Surveying PGD; M.Sc.; Ph.D. Quantity Surveying
- Department of Urban and Regional Planning PGD; M.Sc.; Ph.D. Urban and Regional Planning
FACULTY OF LAW
- Department of Common Law LL.M; M.Phil.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Common Law
- Department of Islamic Law LL.M; M.Phil.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Islamic Law
FACULTY OF LIFE SCIENCES
- Department of Biochemistry PGD; M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Biochemistry
- Department of Microbiology M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Microbiology
- Department of Plant Biology PGD; M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Plant Biology
- Department of Zoology M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Zoology
FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
- Department of Accounting M.Sc.; Ph.D. Accounting
- Department of Finance M.Sc.; Ph.D. Finance
- Department of Marketing M.Sc.; Ph.D. Marketing
FACULTY OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES
- M.Sc.; Ph.D. Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry 14. PGD; M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Chemistry
- Department of Industrial Chemistry M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Industrial Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Mathematics
- Department of Physics M.Sc.; Ph.D. Physics
- Department of Statistics M.Sc.; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Statistics
- Department of Geophysics M.Sc. Geophysics Department of Geology and Mineral Sciences M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Geology M.Sc. Applied Geology;
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Department of Economics M.Sc.; Ph.D. Economics
- Department of Geography and Environmental Management M.Sc. Geography and Environmental Management; M.Phil./Ph.D.; Ph.D. Geography
- Department of Sociology M.Sc.; Ph.D. Sociology
FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
- Department of Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxico M.Sc.; Ph.D.; Veterinary Pharmacology M.Sc.; Ph.D.; Veterinary Toxicology
- Department of Veterinary Anatomy M.Sc.; Ph.D.; Veterinary Anatomy
- Department of Veterinary Medicine M.Sc.; Ph.D.; Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Veterinary Microbiology M.Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Microbiology V. Department Veterinary Parasitology & Entomology
- Department of Veterinary Pathology
- Department of Veterinary Physiology and Biochemistry M.Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Physiology M.Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Biochemistry
- Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine M.Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Department of Theriogenology and Production M.Sc.; Ph.D. Animal Health in Production M.Sc.; Ph.D. Theriogenology
- Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology M.Sc.; Ph.D. Large Animal Surgery M.Sc.; Ph.D. Small Animal Surgery M.Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Anaesthesiology M.Sc.; Ph.D. Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging
The non-refundable application fee for all programmes is 25,000.00 (Twenty-five Thousand Naira) only for applicants within Nigeria OR $200.00 only for international applicants.
How to Apply for Unilorin Postgraduate admission
Application forms are to be completed on-line and will close on Friday, 23rd June, 2023. Note that the latest date for receipt of supporting documents is Friday, 7th July 2023.
Successful applicants would be notified through their University of Ilorin application portal.